I will be posting gospel prayers that I have written, hoping they will be helpful to people. These come out of my own prayer and my own life. Enjoy

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Praying the news

A number of years ago I met the Carmelite sisters of Indianapolis. They were a small group but they had a wonderful website about praying the news. It captured my attention and I continued pondering it. I also started praying the news. When I read, see, or hear the news I do it with an attitude of intercession. I pray for the situation. I pray for God's wisdom to become manifest in the people involved, in the policies involved. I pray for God's compassion to reach persons affected by natural disasters. I pray that the spirits of the dead be comforted in God's eternal embrace. I pray for reconciliation in every conflict.

I pray big. I pray for the conversion of world economies. I pray for reconciliation among world religions. I pray for the protection and guidance of world leaders. To me it is important that the world be influenced by God's grace. As a creature of this world I invite God's grace here, into the worst conflicts, into the saddest tragedies, into the bloodshed and suffering and oppression. I pray big.

After I pray big, I read, see, and hear the news alert for God's answer, because I know God will answer my prayer. When I hear something on the news about which I've prayed, I smile. I listen for reasons to hope. I listen for efforts toward reconciliation. I listen for God's grace at work. I rejoice and delight in the news sometime.

Try it. Pray big. Then be on alert for your answers in the news.

No comments:

Post a Comment