I will be posting gospel prayers that I have written, hoping they will be helpful to people. These come out of my own prayer and my own life. Enjoy

Friday, April 2, 2010

Praying on the Cross

I hope you're having a good Friday. Here's a suggestion for praying with Jesus on the cross and for letting Jesus pray with you in your crosses.

Read the Passion in one of the four gospels. Read all of it slowly. Have at hand a cross or crucifix.

How do you feel reading this? What parts inspire you? What parts leave you indifferent? What parts make you feel bad? How?

Can you write your own Passion as it has happened to you?

Make the Way of the Cross with devotion.

Look up the seven last words of Jesus.

"Father, forgive them; they do not know what they are doing." (Luke 23:34)
"In truth I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise." (Luke 23:43)
"Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." (Psalm 31:6 and Luke 23:46)
"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (Psalm 22:2 and Mark 15:34)
"Woman, this is your son." "This is your mother." (John 19:26-27)
"I am thirsty." (Psalm 22:16 and John 19:28)
"It is fulfilled." (John 19:30)

Pray the seven last words with your crucifix. Which word resounds in your heart? Which word have you heard from a suffering person? Have a conversation with Jesus at the cross.

Pray with Mary standing at the foot of the cross. Can you be there with her without words?

Let Mary be with you in your own cross and suffering. What does God's grace do in you at this moment of prayer?

No comments:

Post a Comment